středa 4. července 2018

Two euros on a ticket and penis on head. Bratislava has a spirit as Brno


During my life I heard about Bratislava a lot, that it is a dirty city or that you would not want to walk on its street at night. Almost nothing cannot be more far away from the truth, though, of course, I have not seen the whole city.


Bratislava
After the first sightseeing of the historical centre, I felt a bit like I am in Brno, except that you cannot take a photo of two penises on the main square (1). The feeling was strengthened in the moment when the horde of men in the gladiator accompanied by a man in skirt and a penis on his head passed through me. With another bunch of guys in prison clothing and a policeman from the Blue Lagoon (2), I realized that Bratislava is another of the many places where, as a foreigner, you organize a bachelor party.


Bratislava castle
Before sunset, I managed to reach Bratislava Castle, which offers more than a beautiful view of the river and surrounding countryside. I was excited, but not only because of castle, but also because of the National Council, which is located next to it.

National Council
The whole historical centre and its surroundings seemed perfect to me, especially because they were clean and barrier-free.


The next morning at ten o'clock I was planning to attend one of Bratislava's free tours and learn a little bit about its history, unfortunately my plans had a collision with reality. Instead of that, I went to the tram stop in the direction of the train station just before the ten o'clock to put my belongings in the safe-deposit box, which, after five months in Budapest, where I went to study, was not little.

Historical centre
Of course, there was no option to pay by card at the stop, and the machine, which was still showing Slovak crowns, refused to accept banknotes. My question about if it is possible to pay using card in a tram was answered by twenty-year-old guy with the expression, if I am serious, "That's certainly not possible." From running between the rails and finding a stand where someone would sell me a ticket, I was saved by the woman with two children. She did not have a change, but to my surprise, despite my No, please, she gave me two euros to buy the ticket for the machine.

Historical centre
The local showed me their friendly face a couple of more times. For example, when I was looking for a store where they would sell a post stamp, and despite the shop seller´s words it will find anyone, I´ve mistaken it twice, no one has just rejected me as usual, but always told me where to go. In another case, the guy from hostel has asked me so many times if he can help me with something that I wanted to get married with a Slovakian immediately under the weight of such care.

I spent the morning with a sightseeing of Slovak radio, whose building in the form of a reversed pyramid, is in my eyes an architectural jewel.

Slovak radio
On my way to the city centre, I stopped at the bookstore Martinus, which is simply not just a store with books. The bookstore has plenty of places to sit down and check the books. It has section of TOP 10 where is displays the best-selling titles, northern corner or poison flasks hidden in the shelf next to the fantasy books. With Trhlina (3) in my hand I told the salesman how excited I was about the bookstore. But his colleague/girlfriend took my remark probably differently than I intended, because of her: What´s wrong?

Book store Martinus
I supported my Slovak trip with local beer and halušky (4), which Slovaks cook better than Czech. I spent the afternoon in the UFO tower, from which you can see the castle and the old town. Then I was just hurrying to the train to find out that we will have a fifteen minutes delay.

UFO tower
Bratislava is simply a magical place, I can recommend to go, whether your destination is Budapest, Vienna or Tatry.

The article was originally published on server Lidovky.cz in czech language.

(1) There is one sculpture in Brno, which reminds a big penis and one sculpture of horse with rider, the horse´s head from one angel reminds also a penis.
(2) The gay character in Czech film Policejní akademie dressed like a policeman in LGBT bar.
(3) The book written by Slovak writer Jozef Karika.
(4) Traditional Slovak food.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat